Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The Fall Television Season

Do you have a favorite TV show that you can't wait for the return of?  Are you looking forward to a new show you've heard about?  Are you like me and bummed out that some of your favorite cable TV shows have ended for the season?

I am a big fan of TNT's The Closer starring Kyra Sedgewick.  The last episode of the season aired this Monday night, leaving viewers with a cliffhanger ending that won't be resolved until January 2009.  I also enjoy USA's Monk, starring Tony Shaloub.  The defective-detective and his odd assortment of quirky friends has been making me laugh for seasons now, and I always feel a bit sad on Friday night when there isn't a new episode to watch.

I am looking forward to next weeks premiere episode of ABC's Dancing With The Stars.  It is one of the few shows on network TV that I truly enjoy watching.  I know there are some people who get upset about some of the skimpy outfits, especially in the Latin dances, and they have a valid point, but it is also one of the most fun and purely entertaining shows on TV for my money.  The contestants don't spend the whole time plotting how to get rid of the other contestants, they actually cheer one another on.  It is fun watching people famous for something else try something completely out of their element.  I give them a lot of credit just for attempting it.

I am interested in what everyone else is watching these days and what makes the shows you watch appealing to you.  Please leave me a comment and let me know your opinion.


2 comments:

Laurie said...

Well, I am a huge Lost and Weeds fan, and am also known to indulge in some Grey's.

But I mainly wanted to stop by and say how nicely things are coming alon over here!

Welcome!

Jeanne said...

Maureen,

I don't have cable or dish. We had to give them up several years back due to the expense. With me being too sick to work (unless I someday find a way to monetize my blog and help with family income!), we're living on my husband's income... So it's network TV only in this house. With my out-of-control medical expenses, cable and dish are just impossible for us...

I enjoy watching Brothers and Sisters. I think all families have some level of dysfunction... and despite the dysfunction of the characters on "B&S", they all love each other dearly and stick together as a family when the chips are down.

Like you, I also like Dancing With The Stars. I understand their outfits can be skimpy but, like you, I appreciate the fact that the dancers truly cheer each other on. Also, I think I live vicariously through them. Since my illnesses make dancing like the show's dancers impossible... it's fun to at least watch them do it... especially because 1/2 of each couple are not experienced dancers and they work so hard at it.

I never watched Grey's Anatomy until last season. Last year, it was on a special night once and I got hooked. So, like Laurie, I occasionally watch Grey's...

I can never remember when House is on because I rarely channel surf to Fox but I do like watching mystery patients on "House". I can so relate!

I like Ugly Betty too.

Be well,

Jeanne

P.S. With network channels only (ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, and Fox)... I had a hard time giving up the satellite dish at first. However, my husband and I have become huge fans of the public library down the street... They have TONS of DVDs that keep us busy. While we may not order "new" movies via remote control/satellite dish anymore, we can get the movies just as quickly at the library and it's free! So we watch movies more than regular TV shows... We hunt for comedies first at the library (because we really need to laugh with our crazy lives!) but we use dramas to fall back on. It keeps us entertained on the rare occasion we get to watch TV. I used to watch much more TV and I do miss doing that... but life sometimes throws us into different schedules. I do look forward to the few shows I follow now that fall shows will be on, though. I really like Brothers and Sisters!