Saturday, November 29, 2008

Trying to Get The Feeling Again!

I'm sitting here, thinking about all that has happened this weekend - the terrorist attacks in India, the trampling death of a man about 15 mins. away from my house at a K-Mart as he tried to open the doors for "black Friday shoppers", and I am wondering if I can find the Christmas spirit. What's going on with people? We've stopped seeing other human beings, as people, others have become things that stand in our way, our way of getting a good buy, our way of saying how everyone else should live or believe. . .

I pray for all the souls who were murdered in India, for those injured and for the friends and families of all the victims. I even pray for the terrorists, which I know some of you will hate, but you see we are all made in God's image, so it HIS place to pass judgment, not mine. Of course I hate their actions, and I won't even try to defend them, but I don't get to know what happens, only God does.

I'm reminded of how things felt here after the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001. How scared we all were, how for a brief time we all pulled together as one. I had hoped it would last longer than it did, I hope it will for India.

Christmas is coming, the day, that if you are a Christian changes everything. I can't and I won't let that be taken from me. There is too much good in the world to let the bad and evil win. I hope that we will all remember as we head into these holidays that they aren't about gifts, parties and food, not that you can't celebrate with those things - but you shouldn't allow those things to start to mean more than what Christmas does.

In these desperate economic times, look into your heart and see what you are capable of this season. Can you afford to help a charity out, whether it is financially or with your time? Can you afford not to? None of us makes it on our own, we all have help and support from someone. We have the chance to be that someone, that is a gift and a blessing. Share yourself this holiday season, you won't regret it. You'll never give without receiving!

7 comments:

Daisy said...

I wish sad and terrible things did not ever happen. But I still believe there is much more good in the world than bad. And I think that each of us can make a difference, too.

Renee said...

Well said, Maureen. At times it is hard to understand what makes people act as they do. Where is their kindness, their integrity, their spirit? What causes us to become less than animals in how we treat others? Our hope lies in the reason we celebrate Christmas..
our hope lies in the people who try to live with compassion and respect for all God has created.
Renee

Tabitha Blue said...

So well said, thanks for keeping it real!! :)

Leslie said...

Thanks Maureen, for always being my cheerleader! Hope you had a good Thanksgiving, as well!

Anonymous said...

Beautifully said. In the Jewish tradition, one phrase that is used is that we all have a responsibility to do our part to perfect or repair the world. I try to remember that.

JO said...

Very well written post! One person can truly make a difference... and you are making a difference by sharing this post.

Thanks for visiting my blog.

JO

Anonymous said...

Maureen, This is a beautiful post. Your compassion (for all human beings)holds the meaning of Christmas you write heartfully about.

I also think about and hope that the economic crisis we are in now, (all in it together) will hold the silverlining of bringing us back to what's truly important...that which you have reminded us of here, giving of ourselves, pulling together.

Thank you for sharing your beautiful spirit with us Maureen!
Love, Kerry