Monday, October 27, 2008

Endometriosis and 'Dancing With The Stars'

As readers of my blog know, one of my chronic illnesses is endometriosis. In fact, I had a complete hysterectomy at 32 because of it. I had 5 prior laporoscopies and one for adhesions after the hysterectomy. To this day I still suffer from chronic pelvic pain from endometriosis as well as other conditions. I feel qualified to talk about this issue at length because I have lived it since I was 17 years old. I feel for any woman of any age who has endometriosis, but it is especially brutal when you are young because in addition to the pain, it often causes infertility. In my case, I had an ectopic pregnancy and was never able to conceive again.

I am watching 'Dancing With The Stars' right now, and one of the youngest professional dancers, Julianne Hough, has been diagnosed with endometriosis and will be having surgery tomorrow to have her appendix removed as a result of it. My heart breaks for her. I believe she is only 20 years old.

4 comments:

Jeanne said...

Maureen,

I posted on this topic today and got some interesting commments back on it. I hope Julianne's surgery went very smoothly!

Jeanne

Carol R said...

I had Endometriosis and can fully sympathise with you. Luckily a hysterectomy solved my problem which came after the birth of my two lovely children who are now adults with their own children.

I see you are a Mac girl - come visit my blog - I have Mac stories on there!

http://istitchaholic.blogspot.com

JenniferSaake.blogspot.com said...

Thanks for the Kreative award! That sure made me smile this morning. :)
I'm 36 and will be having my hysterectomy in 2 week. I'm sorry you have continued to have pain post-surgery. I know too many woman that's happened too, though my doctor assures me such outcome is "rare". {{{hugs}}}

Maureen Hayes said...

Jeanne, Carol and Jenni--

Thank you all for your comments. I have to say that my hysterectomy helped me so much with my endometriosis that it was night and day. That said, I have other bowel/pelvic issues and continue to suffer adhesions, but I make those everywhere in my body anyway.

Jenni we will all be praying for you with your surgery and for a successful outcome. Please let us know how you are doing when you are able.

I think doctors today are much more aware than they were when I started with this, which is a good thing. I am truly sorry for Julianne Hough, but if she is able to bring some attention to the subject it won't be in vain.

Thanks to you all for your comments and support!

Maureen